Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Recycle your Electronics Year Round

If you're like me, there's a pile of useless, obsolete electronics sitting in a corner somewhere.  If you're like me on  a weak day, that electronic waste goes out with the garbage. If you're like me on a strong day, that electronic garbage sits in that corner, waiting until the Lower East Side Recycling Center hosts an e-waste pickup that's convenient to you.

If you're anything like me, getting there can be a bear. So far in the past 3 months I have dropped off useless electronic crap at Prospect Park, Cortelyou Road in Ditmas Park, Union Square, and Tekserve on 23rd Street.  And yet, there's more!  I have finally sucked the last out of my 2001-era Gateway desktop and it's ready to go. But it's sooooo heavy, and the most convenient drop-off was on one of the crappiest days of this blissfully mild winter.

Lower East Side Recycling Center to the rescue! Today, a new PERMANENT drop off center was opened in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn. The new address is 469 President Street (corner of Nevins). I am so excited about this! We separate our garbage around here, and the space constraints make it painful to hang onto something you can't/don't use anymore, even though it doesn't smell!  But it's important to me that reusable materials get reused, and don't end up somewhere they can poison people.

I'm planning to head to their open house on Saturday. And I'm bringing a few old things with me!

No comments: